WHAT IS THE TRAILBLAZE CHALLENGE?
Designed as a one-day endurance event, the Trailblaze Challenge gives participants the opportunity to hike 28 miles along the Pacific Crest Trail in picturesque Big Bear, California. In additional to hiking, participants will also raise much needed funds to grant the wishes of children in San Diego! This is a hike, not a race and caters to all levels from novice to advanced outdoor enthusiasts.
ABOUT THE PACIFIC CREST TRAIL
The Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) is a treasured pathway through some of the most outstanding scenic terrain in the United States. The famous hiking trail spans 2,650 miles (4,265 kilometers) from Mexico to Canada through California, Oregon, and Washington. It reveals the beauty of the desert, unfolds the glaciated expanses of the Sierra Nevada, travels deep forests, and provides commanding vistas of volcanic peaks in the Cascade Range. Trailblaze Challenge San Diego will cover the iconic PCT by way of the Cougar Crest Trail and will end at Onyx Summit. Wildlife sightings can be common, and hikers will love the challenge of this beautiful trail.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN MY HIKE EXPERIENCE?
• Specialized training program including a workout calendar and weekly group hikes
• Training Clinics - topics include hiking boots, socks and other trail essentials, hydration and nutrition, and cross training (when available)
• Support and coaching from experienced Hike Leaders and Make-A-Wish staff
• Hotel Accommodations on hike weekend at The Lodge at Big Bear Lake, a Holiday Inn Resort (3 days/2 nights)
• Trailblaze Challenge duo-dry shirt for hike weekend
• Friday night pasta party to carb load before the big day
• Transportation to and from the Trail on Hike Day
• Trail support at multiple locations throughout your journey, including hydration, snacks, first aid, and encouragement!
• Saturday evening post-hike celebration to share trail stories
• Sunday post-hike recognition breakfast before heading home
IS THERE A FEE TO PARTICIPATE?
Each trailblazer will be asked to raise a minimum amount of funds to cover their expenses and to help Make-A-Wish continue its mission to grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions. A non-refundable $100 donation is required at the time of registration and will be credited toward your fundraising goal.
SPRING 2017 DATES:
May 19 - 21
SCHEDULED INFORMATION SESSIONS:
Each information session will cover the same information; you do not need to register for more than one. Participating in an information session is mandatory. You will receive a Registration Form during your session. If we receive your Registration Form and you are NOT signed up for an information session, you will be contacted by Make-A-Wish staff.
• 1/24/17 - 7pm at Adventure 16 San Diego location
• 1/25/17 - 6:30pm at REI San Diego location
• 1/26/17 - 6:30pm at REI Encinitas location
• 1/28/17 - 10:30am at Adventure 16 Solana Beach location
• 1/31/17 - 6:30pm at REI San Diego location
• 2/1/17 - 7pm at Adventure 16 Solana Beach location
• 2/2/17 - 6:30pm at REI San Diego location
• 2/4/17 - 10:30am at Adventure 16 San Diego location
• 2/6/17 - 7pm at Adventure 16 San Diego location
• 2/8/17 - 6:30pm at REI Encinitas location
If you cannot attend one of the scheduled information sessions, please contact Heather Ginsky at firstname.lastname@example.org or 619-279-5215.
HOW WILL I REACH MY GOALS?
Make-A-Wish will support hike participants each step of the way by providing each participant with a personalized fundraising webpage, as well as sponsorship and fundraising materials, tips and advice. Each Trailblazer will be provided with a specialized training program
and will be invited to attend weekly group training sessions and informal meet-ups.